- 60,000 words of the original manuscript were written in one month as part of the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) program in 2011.
- Character Antony Fletcher was in part named for the character of the same name in Sweeney Todd—a boy who falls irrevocably in love with a girl he finds beautiful before ever speaking to her.
- It was originally planned for the story to take place over the course of one year, with things beginning to grow in spring and “dying” in winter. After writing started, however, the artificial time constraints felt too cramped and were quickly abandoned.
- Protagonist Adela’s personality was in part inspired by an episode of House, MD where Dr. House tells a woman, “Psychopathy can get a bad rap. It doesn't necessarily mean you're violent. Just that you're completely without conscience.”
- Most of the research for the book not completed online was done at the American University Library, Jessica’s alma mater.
- Not just a surname, Tilden is also a street near Jessica’s old apartment.
- Though the name “Penrith” was made up by mixing and matching place names until finding something that sounded good, it was later found out that there is, in fact, a town of Penrith in Cumbria, England, which is placed nearly exactly where Jessica would have placed Penrith as a “real world” equivalent.
- If asked after her favorite food, Adela would likely say peafowl.
- The idea of a “prequel” following Adela’s mother, Elizabeth, has been considered, but—if started—would likely be the last Broken Line book written.
- As currently planned, The Copper Witch is the only Broken Line book that’s plot does not deal with outside countries in any significant ways.
Adela Tilden has always been more ambitious than her station in life might allow. A minor nobleman’s daughter on a failing barony, Adela’s prospects seem dire outside of marrying well-off. When Adela catches the eye of the crown prince, Edward, however, well-off doesn’t seem to be a problem. Thrown into a world of politics and intrigue, Adela might have found all the excitement she ever wanted—if she can manage to leave her past behind.
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Alternate Historical Fiction
Rating – PG-13
More details about the author